13.04.2017 від Tetyana Skrypkina
by Tetyana Skrypkina
I received a question from K. Darwish, who is an English teacher in Turkey. His syllabus has a book, which is 200 pages, about 40 chapters. So, how to handle long texts in class?
- Divide 40 chapters into small parts for each lesson. For example, you have 2 chapters every lesson.
- Pre-teach vocabulary and collocations. But not all of them, only the key ones for your students to get the whole idea.
- Give pictures or sentences for the students to predict and make students curious about what they are going to read.
- Form students into groups and ask them to read for gist, to read for core information.
- Each team retells the information they have read. But for it to be more interesting, they may retell from different prospective, for example,
- Take your class to the school yard
- Or make a picnic-lesson to relax and enjoy reading! J
And how do you deal with long texts?
P.S. Remember to subscribe my YouTube channel, where you can find videos with tips about teaching languages https://www.youtube.com/user/mischievous88/videos